PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spoiler & go arounds
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 17:14
atyourcervix73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find it is pretty normal for most aircraft (if not all) to be certified to touch down at Ref minus a bit. After all, Vref is the speed at 50', not at touch down. Most types are certified, and landing figures based on, thrust levers going to idle AT 50' while the aircraft is AT Vref+0 which would result in touching down at less than Vref. Even the turboprops I have flown in the past, which have a huge amount of drag at idle, the AFM still says the technique is to go to idle at 50' at a speed of vref. I think to 'normal' retarding later, and carrying a few knots is more a thing to simply result in a smoother touchdown.
I can't say I agree with any of that (happy to be corrected though) as I can't find any reference to the types I've flown (A320 fam, B737, B757/767) stating that the thrust levers are closed at 50'.
I know that if you tried that in any of the types I previously mentioned, it would result in a heavy landing most of the time if flown at anything like Vref, or worse a tail strike as you try to reduce the ROD.
Having flown the 757 into numerous tricky Greek summer destinations, I can also say that the best technique is to fly the aircraft onto the touchdown point with a combination of thrust and attitude, which results in a firm but short arrival.
I have also run this past a current Airbus test pilot, his opinion is that if you chop the power at 50' in any of his company machines, you are asking for trouble.

Last edited by atyourcervix73; 2nd Apr 2007 at 17:24. Reason: Awful spelling