PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it acceptable or appropriate for PPLs to wear 1 gold bar
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 16:21
vulcanpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Wessex Boy on the safety aspect.

I always wear a pair of RAF gloves (good grip, fire retardant and keep your hands clean). If its a bit blowy on the airfield, I wear an RAF Mk3 jacket. If I am flying the Bulldog or the DHC1 I often wear a growbag (no wings/name badge tho) & flying boots. If I am crossing water, I will wear an RAF Mk25 life preserver (and so will Mrs Vulcanpilot).

Do I look a tit? Probably, but then I think the 'hairy biker' who rides to the club on his fancy painted up motorised pushbike with matching leathers and helmet looks a tit (my opinion). But that seems totally accepted. As does wearing all the flashy suits/shoes/gloves/helmet etc if you play with motor cars on a racing circuit. And what about golfers ....... what safety aspect do garish trousers and Pringle sweaters provide? Enough said.

Aviation seems to be the only passtime where if you fly in anything other than shorts and a t-shirt you are considered to be a 'topgun wannabe' or a tit.

Why do I wear ex-RAF kit? - well, its quite cheap, and lets be honest, the quality is superb. I have found NOTHING to compare to the Mk3 Flying Jacket for insulation properties, comfort and places to bung things. It cost me £25 for a brand new one. The Mk25 life preservers knock spots off anything the aviation suppliers sell and I would prefer to trust my life to something the pro's trust their life to - not some re-badged thing normally used by dinghy paddlers.

But to get back on-thread, I would draw the line long before wearing stripes on my eppaulettes!