PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 13:44
GrumpyOldFart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay. I'm not a pilot. Never was, never wanted to be, likely never will be. I'm just an ordinary guy who does his job, pays his bills, looks after his family, and generally keeps his nose clean. I enjoy an occasional drink, just like most people. I used to be a very frequent SLF; now, as the need and the enjoyment reduce, I fly very little. I've had a long and strong interest in all matters relating to civil aviation, though, which is why I read these threads. I respect anyone, pilot or whatever, who does their job well, who enjoys and is enthusiastic about their job, and who does it within the rules and guidelines established by society. I understand the time, the effort, the expense, and the dedication incurred by pilots in reaching the pinnacle of their profession - the command of a passenger jet.

But, after reading thread after thread just like this one, there's one thing I don't understand. Why do pilots drink before reporting for duty? It can't be ignorance of the penalties, can it? Stress? Guess what - we all have stress in our lives. There are times when I'd gladly swap mine for yours. The need to be sociable? It really is possible to be sociable without the crutch of alcohol. Peer pressure? Resist it. The likelihood of getting caught (the thrill of the chase)? Go paintballing instead. Addiction? Admit it and get treatment. Otherwise, it really is simple. If you want to keep your job, and the income that goes with it, don't drink within the 24 hours before you go flying. How hard can that be? Why throw it all away just for a bl00dy drink??