PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 11:21
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard to add to this topic without simply repeating what has gone before, or taking sides. So perhaps I could add the following observations:

- Do we know that the police breathalysing equipment, presumably calibrated to detect levels more relevant to motoring offences, can accurately detect 9 microgrammes? Especially if products such as cough syrups or cold remedies have been used?

Surely there are two types of people who get caught up in these affairs... the ones who are simply stupid and reckless, and the ones who have a genuine problem that creates such stress in their life that they become alcohol-dependent? I have known both types in the airline world, and I have little sympathy for the former, but enormous sympathy for the latter.

I would also have to say that I have flown with lots of pilots that fall into the first category. There is a drinking culture in aviation, not as pervasive as some other industries, but it is there (as it is amongst most professional groups). I am a little surprised that airlines are not a lot more pro-active in educating their staff on this issue...