PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hotel fires and aircrew
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 14:51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good article. However, the one thing the Fire Captain did not mention was what to wear when making your escape.

I've been in a house fire, and the radiant heat when close to direct flame can be unbelievablly fierce. I'd say, wear everything non synthetic you can put on, especially sturdy leather, (not rubber!) shoes. Cover as much skin as possible, right dowm to wetting the hotel bathrobe, which is usually white,(which can be important), and putting it on over your clothes. Then put a wet towel over your head, as both a heat shield and a smoke filter, coving as much of yoiur face as possible.

I can vouch for the accuracy of his comment about there almost always being a small area of clear air very close to the floor. Slither on your stomach if necessary.

What also surprised me was the stratification of the heat. It was so hot at eye level in one the room I was in, my eyebrows and hair literally frizzled. Down on the floor in the very same area, the temperature was quite bearable, and even more importantly, the air breathable.