PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After you've passed
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 09:22
tiggermoth
Chocks Away!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not long passed (Nov 06), and so far I've hired an instructor to get checked out on club aircraft, learnt to land on a short grass runways, went shopping to buy into a group share (and found one). I took my first passenger up the other weekend.

As already suggested, push yourself with more challenging conditions gradually. I'm now much happier with cross-wind landings, and glide approaches. Get an instructor to go with you whenever you feel it's needed.

Also since gaining the PPL I've practiced navigation planning, and I'm hoping over this summer to practice more radio navigation.

As one of the instructors I went up with recently said to me - just enjoy the flying, you've got your PPL now, everything will slot into place.

Yesterday, for example, I flew (with another pilot) to an aerodrome near where my parents live, and they saw me land, went for a cuppa (and a butty) with them and then flew off. The look on their faces was brilliant! I hadn't seen them since Christmas. I'm hoping with my PPL to find 'excuses' to go to various airports - so I'll be digging out my old address book and visiting old friends.

T.