PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 1st Apr 2007, 23:59
Possum 15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would think, after 69 posts, some resolution to this vexing question would be in sight. Instead, the best we can get is “IMHO”. OK;experience. I have approx. 14500 hrs on “conventional” aircraft, around 4500 on FBW, all A340. A lot of these hours have been instructional, from ab initio to training trainers. I am an “average” pilot. Both types have their “pro and cons” none of which if approached in a professional manner, that is good basic flying skills, systems understanding (rather than “knowledge”) and CRM practice, should lead to disaster. I still enjoy flying both.
I have the feeling that the “If it’s not Boeing I’m not going" types are a lot like supporters of a football club, totally faith based, rather than logical. Good or bad, we love it! This may be an admirable trait for football fans, or even followers of English cricket, but is not the way forward for commercial or military aviation (as opposed to warbirds etc.). There is also, I suspect, even a touch of the Ludite added to the fan club mentality. Surely, new and exciting technology should be embraced, not just with caution (or even denial), but with a desire to look at the best aspects of the new with a view to positive evolvement. If not so then the Wright brothers should have stood despondent because the Flyer was positively dangerous and a ship, train or even a horse could go further and carry more with less hazard. Maybe even propeller technology was best (look at early hull losses for jet transports).
In conclusion, and before another red wine, I must say that large and slow (up to M.96) jet transports were the worst way for aviation technology to develop in the seventies (Thank you Congressmen, Senators and lobby groups). Have you ever traveled long haul in cattle class, in close proximity to children screaming their lungs out with boredom, or even worse, singlet clad yobbos on a drinking spree prior to the sex tour? Or the ultimate horror; have you ever traveled in business or first with an Australian sporting team? If so, you will understand. We should be flying SSTMk3 not mega-liners. Two hours max SIN to LHR, greater frequency, MORE COMMANDS, MORE PAY!!!!!! Yeah yeah yeah, dream on P15.