PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Hours
Thread: Working Hours
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2007, 18:10
sooms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working Hours

Gents.

I would be interested to hear views on working hours on Sqns whilst in the UK. I work on a FJ Sqn in a non flying role where 10-12 Hr days are not uncommon, there is even a culture encouraged by some within the Sqn management that anyone who is not doing at least 10 hours a day is letting the side down. I accept that on Ops we work till the job gets done but I sometimes think we are running ourselves down for little reason other to achieve CFT while back in UK.
I am no stranger to hard work and do my 'bit' to the best of my ability and I am not advocating a 37.5 Hr working week, however several times I have nearly ditched the car driving home at 2am after a 60hr week. Has anyone else done the same?
It seems the worse off are often the Flt Cdrs who I have often heard commenting about not seeing their famillies at all during the week however in the 'fear culture' in which we exist in the modern RAF I suppose they daren't question it.

Basically- what will it take to change?- a couple of aircraft accidents, a few fatal car accidents, a kiddie run over on MQ's?

I would be interested to hear other peoples views

Please-sensible views only- No 'You're paid to work 24 Hrs a day so stop moaning' merchants as they are usually the ones who aren't doing 60hrs a week.