PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 1st Apr 2007, 16:17
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More PQs

I followed up a couple of the recent answers. It appears a team is evaluating the fact that the ac is not test flown after the first sealant coat. Don't know if this was as a result of pressure from our added scrutiny. It needs addressing though, there are several more Ks to go through the foam program. Tuc made the point about FFP including foam, so I went back to Ingram. Funny old thing he will not tell us on grounds of security. Torpy said he would never send a Hercules up against a threat it could not counter. How hollow those words sound now. Thanks again for all the hard facts that come my way, I feed them in direct to the Defence Committee. I know it is a pain in the ass for the guys and girls that have to provide the answers but things like the botch job on the Ks will hopefully get sorted quicker as a result.

When the BBC carried concerns about Herc safety as lead story a few weeks ago they were going to state that onlt 4 aircraft had been fitted. The MoD quickly shoved out a statement that 7 aircraft had actually been fitted. This was just a few days after Ingram had answered a PQ with a flat statement that he was not going to give a commentary on the number of frames fitted with foam. Thankfully the BBC still ran the story.

A word to the crews. The foam is provided by Crest and it is high quality. The FOD problems are being caused by the handling of gasoline soaked foam when it has to be taken out of the tanks.

Thanks again to everyone who continues to contribute.

Hercules Aircraft

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what recent research he has (a) commissioned and (b) evaluated on the reasons for the fuel leaks on the Hercules aircraft after they have been fitted with suppressant foam; and if he will make a statement. [129352]
Mr. Ingram: We are currently collating and evaluating data in connection with the fuel leaks that have occurred on some Hercules aircraft fitted with explosion suppressant foam. This work is being undertaken by a joint MOD/industry team.

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence pursuant to the answer of 13 March 2007, Official Report, column 205W, on Hercules aircraft, whether the Fit For Purpose Hercules aircraft available to the Front Line Command provided by The Hercules Integrated Operational Support contract includes (a) explosive suppressant foam and (b) defensive aids suite; and if he will make a statement. [129706]

Mr. Ingram: All of the RAF’s Hercules aircraft are maintained under the Hercules Integrated Operational Support contract. I am withholding the number of aircraft that are equipped with explosion suppressant foam and defensive aid systems as its disclosure would be likely to prejudice the capability, effectiveness or security of the armed forces.