PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US FAA investigates Continental 777 engine failure at Newark
Old 1st Apr 2007, 15:15
passanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation passangers experience- Flight 84- engine failure

As a passanger on the flight here is my info on the subject of Flight 84 from Newark to Tel Aviv. As we were excellerating about one quater of the way down the runway we barely heard, over the normal loud takeoff sounds a "pop" or a "blast" followed by a loud vibration which shook the plane and stayed constant. I had a window seat opposit the failed enging and saw the wing breaks extend and the brakes being applied, the vibration was constant and a fellow passenger and I both guessed a blown tire. As the plane finally slowed the vibration stayed constant ruling out in our minds the tire theory. I recorded the sounds of the vibration with my digital video camera. The passangers stayed very calm. We sat on the runway for a minute or three with the vibration and sound. Then the motors were shut down. I have offered my videos to the FAA and Contential.

What every passanger wants to know is- what would have happened if this event occured, 10 seconds later- or just as we went wheels up... and what might have happened if this failure occured, say 30 seconds into the air? Could the good engine be excellerated fast enough to make up for the lost one?

Thoughts?

The airline was really excellent through this.

Passanger on Flight 84 March 20 2007