PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around - a fatal cultural flaw.
Old 1st Apr 2007, 12:25
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultegra
Where the f**k have you been hiding??
Great post, insightful and true, best of the lot on this post with one addition (and apologies if it has been mentioned and I've missed it ) but in Asia AGE will trump any other concept/idea thrown up.
As you alluded what you train them to do, and what they allowed to do within their culture upon return to their homeland, is two different things.

Will964 - also a great, and sadly true, post.

A small story - worked for an asian airline, went to their "CRM" days, largely held in their own language as a "tick in the box" exercise for the reegulator.
At one session thought I'd stir the pot, mentioned most western airlines had a "CRM" pyramid or similar in their Ops Manual so any F/o had a company obligation to query the decisions of the Captain up to the point of "takng over",this simply confirmed the companies support of the F/o's legal requirement to ensure a safe operation etc blah blah blah! Where was ours???
With a steely eye I was told by the Chief Pilot (old, retired, non-operational) that it was not required and he would "talk" to the F/o's.
And that reflects the dominance of age over anything else in Asia.

As an almost in a brutal but honest analysis it wasn't the regulators or the company management who minimised killing people when dealing with airlines in Korea but insurance agencies - maybe one of the few times in history they can take a bow!

As a final-final; at least in the west the Captain is accountable, in Asia if there is ANY F/o within 100km of the aircraft at the time of the incident (prefereably a Western F/o) then he will, of course, be responsible.
Such is the Asian way!

OK - the quiz question for the night: which Asian airline had 3 Check Captains aboard a new 767 on training, one western F/o on board in a jump seat, during circuits they trashed the aircraft and who was to blame??
Obviously the western F/o! Why...? Didn't you read the make up of the crew???
Moral of Story - western pilot who comes to Asia as F/o be very, very, very careful - and then be expected to be screwed over (somehow) if something ever happens.
Regards to all.