PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2007, 07:55
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe2812
I run a Dell 9400 lappie...

If i'm honest i'd probably swap to Linux...

...if I knew how and wasnt scared of ballsing up the set up I have now!

Anything not MS must be good though.
Just download the 6.10 version of Ubuntu, burn it to a CD, and boot it. Will not affect your windows at all and you can see if it 'just works'. I cannot see any point in replacing your windows with linux though, you have already paid for it and I am guessing it already does what you want. If you want to mess about, buy the components from a web store, build your own pc and stick linux on it. Make sure you do your research first though and get hardware that linux works on.

Dell can do this as they control the hardware and have the resources to make it 'just work'. Good for them, competition is always good, and I am sure it will put pressure on microsoft to bring down the licence fee that Dell pays.

I guess it all boils down to how much Dell pays for their windows licence, and how much of the savings they want to pass onto their customers, and how much to their shareholders.

I am sure Dell will use this as an opportunity to heavily brand the desktop, try and lock you into their services, and make more money off you in an innovative way. For Dell are just as bad as MS, Oracle, Sun and the rest of them. They all want to 'own' your desktop experience and make it difficult for you to use anybody elses software.