PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US verses UK
Thread: US verses UK
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2007, 06:08
flying jocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having started a Private in the US (FAA), followed by an Instrument, followed by a multi/commercial, followed by UK CAA BCPL/IR and FI(R), I can honestly say that I am better off that way round than the other.

Despite various preconceived ideas by clubs in the UK and in other places around the world (particularly ex UK colonies) of the inadequacies of training under the FAA syllabus, I think that I have come up better this way than had I simply started in the UK.

The FAA syllabus is very practical with easy to follow ground school on a flexible learning programme i.e in your own time in many cases (part 61). There is also a lot more emphasis on good handling skills with such skillful maneuovers as:

Turns around a point
8s on pylons
Chandels
Lazy eights
S-turns on roads/railway lines etc.

The training that goes into the various forms of take-off and landings is also much more practised than in the UK.

Another advantage to US flying is that most flying schools over there ask you to adhere to the Pilots Operating Handbook to determine how to carry out various maneuovres (because it is the way the manufacturer intends that you fly the a/c). I am not saying that schools in the UK are wrong, but it does overcomplicate the issue when putting in minor variations.

For reasons that have been explained before, it is easier (and cheaper) to get in and out of different airports in the US. People make you feel welcome at the biggest airports and altogether it is a lot more fun! IMHO