PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around - a fatal cultural flaw.
Old 1st Apr 2007, 03:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm....so its OK to crash if you both agree that all is OK? Situation AWareness is one of the basic planks of CRM. If you can't see that things are wrong then you have nothing to call out about. I cannot believe that in the examples cited, as in almost all similar Asian and non-Asian cases, neither crew member had any doubt that everthing was fine. What sort of clowns would that make them?
When one pilots watches and doesn't speak up, because a) he doesn't think there's a problem, b) he does but doesn't want to call it out c) thinks the other guy PF-knows what he's doing or d) calls it out but it is ignored....then passengers die. Wrong is wrong and I bet that passengers don't die happier if the crew up the front is smiling just before "sound of impact".
My airline had a horrible accident years ago at Guam. At night, below the FAF crossing height with no RW in sight, one crew member queried whether the glide slope was working. Up to a few seconds before impact that nagging "something is wrong" feeling, translated into action, would have saved hundreds of lives. In the years since then we have spent a fortune on training, and a generous fuel policy and a total "no-fault" go-around policy to ensure it doesn't happen again. We're not pefect...no-one is. Our FOQA system monitors go-rounds to ensure there are enough of them, not to reduce them.
But to pretend that we (Asian airlines) alone have to fix this problem is to stick our collective heads right in the sand.