PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST - 2
Thread: BELFAST - 2
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2007, 21:46
frequentflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are they scared of?

I'm not trying to belittle people's genuine concerns but what is it these residents groups are scared of?
Would a later arrival from Heathrow really make that much difference? We're only talking about an airbus and possibly a couple of Dash 8 400's from other airports.
As a passenger I've arrived at BHD much later than the 'watershed'. I remember coming in on a delayed Flybe flight from Liverpool at almost midnight and on a delayed BA flight from Manchester at around 11.00pm.
I can't remember which approaches we flew but the residents of both East Belfast and North Down appeared to survive the experience.
I really is a case of NIMBY. I take it these people are quite happy to depart at all hours of the day and night on holiday flights and lo-co services from Belfast International.
People live there too. For example the majority of approaches pass over Killead seconds before touchdown - many of them long after 9.30pm.
I work with someone who lives in Crumlin and they get the full benefit of easyJet, Jet2, bmibaby, MYT, First Choice etc as they take off.
Many people in that area work at Belfast International and appreciate the economic benefits it brings.
Perhaps someone who is concerned about later flights into Belfast City could explain clearly what they fear.