PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - perth qantas engineering
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2007, 12:01
Bolty McBolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread seems to have degenerated into a debate about communication devices. WHY ?
Example….
In OZ approx 300 people die each year just falling off a ladder, now if no one is there to see you fall and you are unconscious ,it would not matter what kind of radio or mobile you used, even if you had telepathic powers you would be able to get help because you are unconscious!
Once unconscious immediate first aide is what is required. Properly administered first aid saves lives and can prevent many complications (medically) this is the issue.
I think this is why the Perth are insisting on not working alone...a safety issue and rightly or wrongly it is being used as an industrial tool and probably the only one available to them.
From what I know about the Perth issue all the problems stem from the attitude of the Perth manager. His communication skills are non existent he just uses bullying technique to get his way. Then M comes over from Sydney with his dismissive style and arrogance. I know a few guys were thinking they may have to accept the extended hour roster on offer but after hearing the big M speak it only hardened their resolve.
An alternate roster has been offered to the company by the guys in Perth that has correct coverage has much lower penalties (within 1 % of company roster cost) but the company has refused to look at it.
This is about egos of managers trying to enforce their way rather than use the experience they have on the floor to get a solution to their problem.
Problem is, there is no communication. Just arrogance from managers whom have very little operational experience.
Radios and sparks..
The Motorola radios in SYD are intrinsically safe, same as those used in mining. There are gas seals around the battery contacts so any sparking is contained when the battery is disconnected. Look for the green dot on the radio.

Last edited by Bolty McBolt; 2nd Apr 2007 at 02:55.