PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Numbers
Thread: Pilot Numbers
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2007, 11:47
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Gidday aircabbie,

Probably the best way to get a real idea of this industry is to simply get out amongst it.

I first learnt to fly 22 years ago, (Christ! has it been that long?), and I was driven by one thing only; The overwhelming desire to fly. Of course I knew what an aeroplane was, how it worked, all the histories, countless models when I was a kid, you know, typical stuff. I did not however, have a clue as the nature of this industry, and our profession. That was something I learnt along the way.

What sustained me through the years of crap conditions, periods of unemployment, and dodgy operators was the satisfaction and indeed the thrill of finally going to work and flying an aeroplane.

If you have that, then you will persevere, and the worm will turn. Get that first job, grab it with both hands and keep your ear to the ground.

There will be amazing opertunities over the coming years. When the time comes you need to make sure you are in a position to take advantage of them.

And don't worry about WynSock. A good mate of mine is a Captain with a major airline and his spelling is atrocious. I would have no hesitation in having my family travel in the back with him in command, which is more than I can say for some academic types I have met over the years!

Hope this helps.