PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - perth qantas engineering
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2007, 04:15
Managers Perspective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to Google it, the requirements for operation of an Australian registered aircraft that is operating in Australian Territory are published with CASA CAO 20.9.

As you will note within Appendix 1 of CAO, the requirement relates to a 15 metre perimeter around fuelling and venting points during fuelling operations.

It really is a carry over of a old requirement when aircraft were primarily using wide cut fuels, DC3's etc, but none the less it remains a regulatory requirement today and must be complied with whether we agree with it or not. Some excemptions ahve been sought and granted but unlikely for your ops.

Reality is that the fuel truck parked near the vent needs only to have it's normal wiring to "good automotive design", so one of the greatest risks is when the driver opens his fuel truck door and the interior light switch activates. As minor risk as it is, this truck is one your greatest risks in the work area during fuelling ops, along with other ramp equipment as mentioned earlier by others.

My earlier comments about use of a mobile phone were in relation to an engineer being required to perform maintenance "on his own", I hadn't considered that you guys were relating to fuelling etc (when there are many people in the same work area). My error.

Not sure what a DMM is in the QF structure (Dept Maint Mgr??), or what the current procedures require, but it all sounds well out of date and well behind modern operations at gate. Sad but true........

Hope you guys come through your changes OK, but from reading these threads it seems you are clinging on to fairly weak arguments. You really need to demonstrate the employee numbers through an accurate account of the daily defect occurences and an accurate account of the ports transit demands (actuals not assumptions or views).

These figures cannot be challenged by your management teams, chart out your transit clashes and highlight the significant drift from schedule that Perth experiences on incoming flights from the East. Demonstrate the defect rectification times and detail the delays prevented due to current engineer numbers.

Despatch reliability is a primary driver today, more so than managers bonusses I bet (well assume as I am not privvy to QF terms).

Good luck.

- M.P.

http://www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/Cao20/2009.pdf