PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tenerife. March, 27th, 1977.
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2007, 03:45
Bedder believeit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC watcher, further to this topic, unfortunately we read the so called transcripts, but they only tell half the story. Also the written word often loses it's meaning compared to the spoken. It would be interesting to hear the full tower tapes, not just truncated ones that relate to the accident. I am sure that there would have been a number of other aircraft on the frequency clamouring to get their bit in given that things had been, and were developing into a pretty chaotic situation. People calling for various clearances etc, changing and (critical) weather situations evolving rapidly, taxyways not available, runway lighting issues. It doesn't take long for the realisation to dawn that when the crocodiles start biting your arse, the original intention was to drain the swamp. Cheers watcher.

747flyby: The controller you quote wasn't at Kittyhawk was he? Since I started in ATC in 1968 (well before this accident), the "non American" way of doing things has always been either:
"Line up"
"Behind the departing .....line up (and wait)"
or
"Line up and wait"
I know the Americans have their:
"Enter position and hold"

I have always been of the understanding that the prefix "Cleared" is only used when an executive instruction is being given as in "Cleared to land" or "Cleared for take off". It also is used when issuing an airways clearance. Unfortunately I have always found it a bit difficult to come to terms with the fact that part of the airways clearance given to KLM by the tower included the phrase "....after Take off....". BB