PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Approaches with failures
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2007, 01:33
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
cv12pv2s -
Just to make things clear to all - my comments were not meant to imply that you should take note of the commercial department rather than the FSO, but even the authorities when I did my very first IR (FW) recognised that the flight should be regarded as a public transport flight and therefore to be conducted "expeditiously". The examiner is therefore looking at you as if you were in a commercial company, and expects you to make big boys' decisions, including whether the flight should take place or not in the prevailing weather (it's not just an instrument rating!). Naturally, safety comes first, but someone who was unnecessarily taking the safe approach and prolonging events (reading between the lines) would be looked at with some concern when it comes to being let loose on the public.

I would still be inclined to carry on if I my situational awareness was good, I was in control, there was no reason to expect an untoward event, the workload was light, etc. Anything that distracts you from the job in hand - well, go around!

As for briefings - I must say that I prefer to keep them as minimal and brief as possible. To my mind, two pilots with similar training, company culture, etc should be pretty near on the same page anyway and take similar action in similar circumstances. A good one in the slack time before an approach, to ensure that all the plates are out and of the same revision, what the weather allows you to do and what to do if the ILS goes out are all fair game, but after that I think anything more verges on being a flight safety hazard when the workload is high.

Phil