PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in the USA (incl Florida!)
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2007, 21:12
Deno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European nationals training under FAA? To be or not to be?

Firstly.. Hi all.
I've been researching professional pilot training for the last 8 months. Been to flyer shows at Heathrow, read extensively here for months, visited several FTOs, spoken to many more and reckon I'm nearing a decision of where and how to proceed. If before having having done all this, someone had told me it would be so difficult deciding where to spend these vast sums of money, I wouldn't have believed them.
I hear what you have to say about training in the USA. I still remain optimistic though and am still searching for the perfect school.

This first post is really to see whether any of you would add insight to my plan.

My end objective is to have an JAA frozen ATPL with as many hours under the belt on completion as possible so that when job hunting in Europe I stand out from the large number of applicants with JAA fATPLs obtained with minimum hours.

I am currently thinking that to study full time and relocate to sunny California is a really attractive proposition. The weather is good, the air space is busy for training purposes and the cost of living over there is considerably cheaper than Oxford where I am currently.

First stage:- Obtain full FAA CPL ME...7 months...Say $ 35,000
Next:-
Do FAA Instructor ratings including Multi engine $ 10,000,
work for a period, working on the assumption that I could average 70 flight hours a month.
After 6 months that would be over 400 hrs instruction plus the CPL, so looking at over 600 hours obtained in 19 months.
Prehaps could do a distance learning ATPL theory course at the same time? Say $5,000,
Return to U.K, convert IR... Approx $ 10,000.

All done to an estimate of $60,000. I think this is realistic not including living. But that you've got to pay anywhere.

Not much cheaper than doing it in the U.K and prehaps as much as a year longer but with some distinct advantages.

1). Completion with over 600 hours.
2). Valuable training as an instructor, plus could work as an instructor in other ICAO countries.
3). Finish with dual licenses. Very handy?
4). Living costs are lower than in the U.K so we save there. (Just check out how much child care is in this country!!!)
5). The weather is a site nicer there than it is here.
6). I would be in the USA under a J-1 visa so my wife can work as well. She couldn't any other way. She can help look after us while I am using up our savings.....?

As you all know, its easy to change ones mind on a weekly basis depending on who you've talked to and what you've read that week. This is where I am now and would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance...
Deno