PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 30th Mar 2007, 20:42
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Further, and here we get to the non-moving throttles, every airplane with a pilot (now we're talking even single-pilot), has to have the option for a quick, simple, straight-forward override of it's automation.
Meaning, if the A/P is connected, you can pull on the yoke/stick, and the airplane will pitch up. You retard the throttles, and the engines spool down. You push them forward, and the engines spool up. Without having to disconnect anything first.
To put it simple - if you are battling the A/P or A/T, you should win. Always.
On A320 I fly, moving throttles to idle always disconnects the A/THR. Moving throttles to TOGA always gives TOGA. Moving throttles to MCT gives you MCT if your both engines are alive. Also there are two red buttons on throttle levers aptly named 'A/THR instinctive disconnect buttons' and that's what they do. Zee red button on stick (surprise, surprise!) disconnects the autopilot. As far as I'm concerned, that's simple and straight-forward enough override of the automation.

As for battling the A/P, well - DON'T EVER DO THAT!!! Most of the autopilots will disconect after some stick force in pitch is achieved, but before they disconnect they will trim against your input and it may end up very nasty - keywords are CAL and Nagoya. If you're not satisfied with George's performance, red button always comes before the push/pull on the yoke.

From what I've been reading on Airbus, it seems that day-to-day operation is a lot easier and simpler than other brands. However, when the **** hits the fan, you never see it coming.
Links and other reference please. As an Airboos driver I'd also like to know what kind of unforeseen $h*t can hit my fans.