PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 30th Mar 2007, 13:23
747dieseldude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling this discussion could go on for ever.

However, I would like to put in my two cents. I have never flown an Airbus, and know its systems only from reading.
I don't have anything against FBW. The protections it has are welcome, and the ease it seems to bring into hand-flying is also welcome. I don't even care if it's a "g-keeping" or a "rate-keeping" system, and most important, I don't care if it's a yoke, stick or track-ball operated (In fact, a small table up front would be welcome). I guess you could get used to any control device or laws, and it will feel natural after some time.
And I don't care in which continent it is made and what language are the manuals written in.
But, as many before me has written, I do believe that as long as the airplane is a TWO-c/m airplane, there should be active, tactile feedback on what the other c/m is doing. It can be interconnected, it can be artificial (I am not afraid of computer failures, or cross wiring - cross controls have happened on conventional airplanes too, you know...) but I want to know, damn it, I HAVE to know what the other c/m is doing. Sometimes it's just not enough to wait and see what the aircraft is doing.
More important, during training, I want to know what the student is doing. I understand the airplane sums up the control inputs. How would I know if the result was what I did, or what he/she did, and just how wrong did he/she did it?
And as a student, I would want to know just what the instructor did to correct the situation, and what should I do next time? Just rely on my other c/m to provide his/her half of the summed input?
I expect to hear stuff in the debriefing like "you pulled too early" or "use smaller corrections next time". How would my instructor know what I did? Was it a gust that blew the wing down, or was it me?

Further, and here we get to the non-moving throttles, every airplane with a pilot (now we're talking even single-pilot), has to have the option for a quick, simple, straight-forward override of it's automation.
Meaning, if the A/P is connected, you can pull on the yoke/stick, and the airplane will pitch up. You retard the throttles, and the engines spool down. You push them forward, and the engines spool up. Without having to disconnect anything first.
To put it simple - if you are battling the A/P or A/T, you should win. Always.

From what I've been reading on Airbus, it seems that day-to-day operation is a lot easier and simpler than other brands. However, when the **** hits the fan, you never see it coming.