PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2007, 05:19
thornycactus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trend In Aviation

To Farrell,

My previous message was implying that foreign students are comfortable and looking forward to train with instructors that have the same naïve language as theirs.

I have a Mainlander Chinese friend who scored ‘A1’ for his General Paper in GCE ‘A’ Level. He is so used to Mandarin and he even chosen a flying school in Australia that has a Mandarin speaking instructor! Lots of his Mainlander Chinese cohorts were there too! Simply because the selling point of the school is using a Mandarin speaking instructor to help them in their flying lesson.

Yes, I agree with you that English proficiency is a must in aviation especially flying. But…who cares!

There are many aviators flying in India are using Hindi, flying in Indonesia using Bahasa Indonesian, flying in China using Mandarin! Who really cares! If you can demonstrate the safety of flying, the authority doesn’t going to jump on you! In fact, if you speak perfect English and showing-off your power in your English language during communication in the air, you will be most unwelcomed and you are causing a big stir in the control tower and flyers in these countries!

I met a few Taiwanese guys who speak ‘lousy’ English and could have some problems in understanding. You know what? The airlines in Taiwan absorbed them! Not because of their inproficiency in English!

Let me gives you a case-study
Put yourself in the shoe as a basic flyer learning to fly. Supposedly, a Russian and an American flying instructor (both are equally good in teaching, except the Russian’s English is not on par with you) for you to choose, which one will you take?

If the Mainlander Chinese and Taiwanese are able to get their professional licence, and airlines are accepting them, then who cares?! These rich chaps have their right to choose their own flying instructor, afterall they are paying lots of money!

The world is realistic and I have been traveling everywhere.