PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your landing or mine - the captain's ultimate responsibility
Old 29th Mar 2007, 20:46
atiuta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With cadets and MPL's being all the rage these days how will these guys ever get ANY experience doing anything if people don't let them. You can't have Captains taking over the duties every time you encounter crap weather.
"How will they ever get any experience?"

They won't.

"You can't have Captains taking over in crap weather....."

Oh yes you can!

The worldwide shortage of pilots has caused a paradigm shift in the way pilots gain experience. The trouble is, it will most likely be a very long and expensive period before the worlds transport safety boards work out what went wrong.

The most difficult weather I have observed, was on smaller aircraft (twin turbo props) with different operators and although less experienced, it was IMO an ideal training ground. Why? More sectors, Less inertia, lower ground speeds, fewer runway considerations, more fuel, more alternates, less commercial pressure, smaller route structure, smaller operation, no cultural/ language issues, shorter duty times, no/few time zones. In other words you just flew a lot more, in a very familiar environment and with few variables. When the weather deteriorated a bit, a Captain could take an incremental approach to exposing a lesser experienced First Officer to the conditions. If a pilot showed an aptitude for x/winds, you might let him take on stonger conditions than perhaps someone else. If the individual was weaker, you were going to fly with him next week and he could be left to develop progressively as his and your confidence grew.

Take the large airline scenario, but the same 200hr cadet/mpl pilot. Fewer sectors (don't care what anyone says, it will be fewer), more inertia (when it goes wrong, it happens in a big way), higher ground speeds, every runway is short, less fuel, costly diversions, unfamiliar airfields because you just fly to so many, never flown with the crew before and you both speak different languages (quite possibly English is 2nd for both of you), fatigued and then the weather hits you. To right I'll be doing the landing!

This situation is happening, more so for some airlines than others but an MPL scheme will bring the issue of experience to all. Perhaps not the case with AF but there is common ground between the YYZ accident and what I have discussed.