PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your landing or mine - the captain's ultimate responsibility
Old 29th Mar 2007, 13:57
neville_nobody

Received 144 Likes on 65 Posts
I would hardly call that show a "documentary" more like a dramatization of reported events. The only people interviewed were passengers who had no idea about what the hell was going on. The rest of it was speculation. If it was a documentary then maybe they should have had a chat to the controllers and played some of the black box and looked at it from more of a technical point of view not the usual hyped up crap that they go on with.

Loved it how the FO was using two hands to fight the controls in an airbus! About says it all really!

On a serious note though, the newer generation of CRM talk is for the Captain to watch and the FO to fly. Not sure how much of a good idea it is but that's the talk at the moment.

With cadets and MPL's being all the rage these days how will these guys ever get ANY experience doing anything if people don't let them. You can't have Captains taking over the duties every time you encounter crap weather.

In regard to this incident I never understood whether or not the approach was high or it was that they just got a unexpected downwind component and as a result floated. The "documentary" wasn't real clear on that part of it.

One has to ask why when touching down halfway on (the "short" as the "documentary" described it) 3000m runway that they didn't just go around. If you land halfway down a runway in ANY aircraft you would have to seriously consider a go around.

Last edited by neville_nobody; 29th Mar 2007 at 14:10.