PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 29th Mar 2007, 12:38
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry, I got your point - it was the more sophomoric stuff on this thread I was taking issue with.

My counterpoint to your argument is that artificial feedback is precisely that - artificial. It is provided by a computer based on what it thinks the pilot should be feeling, not directly from resistance from the cable or hydraulic system as was the case in the past. It may subjectively 'feel' more natural to a pilot that has come from older airliners, and that in itself is a laudable goal - but it is objectively no safer, because like any electro-mechanical system it can go wrong.

Practical example - the incident mentioned by FlightDetent where the Captain's sidestick was cross-wired (something that can be done just as easily in the 777 cockpit, remember). The FO's stick was correctly wired, so he took control and performed the landing. Artificial feedback in that instance would have pushed the FO's stick in the opposite direction and he may not have been able to recover the aircraft as easily, or (god forbid) at all.