PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Film made at Leeming - remember it?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2007, 22:14
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
It was an appalling made-for-TV drama - it did indeed involve a female pilot. She was posted to a startlingly misogynist squadron (ISTR no. 555 Squadron, RAF) and crewed up with a nav who'd been forced to walk home after the squadron CO had been shot down over Bosnia, after foolishly trying to avoid a heat-seeking missile by turning on his afterburners.

I switched off at this point.

I switched on again (to ITV) later for the football (or something like that), only to discover the thing was still on. The pilot and nav (who had overcome their differences by this point, it seemed) were conducting a strafing run and were hit by a ricochet, which lodged in the nav's seat. This 'drama' ended with the pilot making a verrrrrrry careful landing, a couple of armourers carefully opening the canopy and extracting the nav, with the seat firing (what a surprise ) just seconds later.

Sadly, I can't remember the name of the thing - it's always registed in my mind as the bl**dy awful programme with the F3s in it.

Edit - it was called 'Strike Force' according to a short snippet in a piece on the F3 in World Air Power Journal Spring 98. Which leads on to this link. It would seem that it was a pilot for a possible series, but presumably the feedback wasn't good enough for ITV to run with it.

Last edited by Archimedes; 28th Mar 2007 at 22:41.