PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Hercules in Emergency Landing
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2007, 19:46
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies

PAF, mate, you’re beginning to get irritating!

Your first question: are you querying Roamingwolf or me? You seem to be asking me a question, but it’s his quote. (Thanks for the support btw, RW).

I’ll answer it anyway. I’ll sick of saying why I thought that Tallil was safe. Read it for yourself (AGAIN). They include reasons that I wont go into on PPRuNe. Basra is very different. One of the reasons I came to that conclusion was from hearing my friends and colleagues who were there every other week. Other reasons I’m not prepared to state here on PPRuNe. The bottom line is, is that Basra is NOT safe (IMHO).

On comparisons: Okay! If you want to interpret what I said as a comparison FINE! But so what? Iraq can be a dangerous place. Tallil AFB, IMO is not! The captain as reported referred to Tallil as a combat zone. I felt that he was overdramatising that part of it, Based on MY OPINION of Tallil as a safe place to be!

Your English Comprehension skills are lacking. “About the safest” is NOT “The safest”, even though you seem to think that it is. I believe that there ARE safer places in Iraq than Tallil AFB (I’ve not been to them, however).

Comments like this:

Maybe it didn't feel like combat to you whilst sleeping down the back, but perhaps you could pay some respect to the aircrew whilst relaxing... I doubt it though, because "You KNOW".
Are pathetic. I’ve every respect for the aircrew for their ability to fly the aircraft, as well as landing during an inflight incident. They lose some of that respect when they make comments like referring to Tallil as a combat zone! (Btw, you still haven’t got back to me with all the SAFIRE reports in the Tallil area).

As for the rest of it: pure trash. From ONE comment I made, you can infer:

Maybe it didn't feel like combat to you whilst sleeping down the back, but perhaps you could pay some respect to the aircrew whilst relaxing... I doubt it though, because "You KNOW".
Maybe as an Army guy you can explain the risk that the Navy guys in the gulf face too? (I assume the Army bit was part of the 50% right! )
Many aircrew guys have served in the area you refer to (as your basis of "I know") but aren't claiming to "know" how the army guys do their jobs.
Although as was mentioned in a RAAF news article, the RAAF aircrew guys know what to do if taxiing down an Iraqi highway in a convoy of Hercs!!!
Perhaps there is a reason why we have Air Force Intel officers and don't just rely on Army Pax to assess the risk to tactical fixed wing transport aircraft???
What an incredible imagination you have!

But now that you mention it, why don’t you ask your Air Force Int officers for their detailed risk analysis on the hazards to aircraft in the Tallil circuit area from small arms, RPG’s, missiles, etc? Get back to me on that.

Other forces transport aircraft did the odd circuit there, you know. Did they have a death wish too? Were they all talk?

And your last:

Yes.. it's all fun and games until someone gets shot, Nothing like an Iraqi noise complaint!

PRICELESS! Did someone help you with that line?

I did my own risk assessment while I was there, and it came out safe for DIVOSH!