PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 28th Mar 2007, 14:28
Pugilistic Animus

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It does seem Airbus control philosophy has taken a whipping on this site in recent times. I do feel there should be an absolute requirement, in all planes! i.e for a artificial feel and force-feedback system---I know it isn't the case.

Not having ever flown Airbus planes myself and only having superficial knowledge of it's flight controls or systems I can only respond based on the inputs of the pilots on that type who've commneted in recent postings---that having been said- here are some thoughts/concerns I have based on my observations of the above pilots comments and concerns.

1. Some of the items described are very counterintuitive to the majority of pilots on 'conventional planes' for instance the fact that back pressure isn't required for turns and that roll rates are commanded instead of bank angles by control stick deflection, but it also seems these particular items cause little relative concern and are easily adapted too.

2. The second item, the one that causes me most concern---although it is hopefully adressed in training and OpSpecs--- is the lack of a artificial feel/feed back system, that philosophy is truly opposed to natural flying sense for a two-crew aircraft [actually all aircraft]. I don't feel 'takeover-procedures' as printed OpSpecs could ever adequately adress an issue that may take fractions of a second to execute.

3. Those thrust levers also leave me with some obvious concern for the same reasons aforementioned by others.

It seems that Airbus attempts to circumvent years of honed senses and that they present a drastically different way to fly an airplane-physically shielded and insulated from the very aerodynamic laws that sustain flight.

lastly, it does seem that the Airbuses are always climb limited compared to Boeing? no matter what!!!

In my book Airbus should be more conformist with the rest of aviation and 103 years of developed airsense

For this pilot- if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going---Sorry!

Last edited by Pugilistic Animus; 28th Mar 2007 at 15:14. Reason: posted early because I was interrupted