PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Approaches with failures
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2007, 12:24
Francis Frogbound
The One Your Mother Warned You About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless;

Right as usual. Most of us stroll down the approach expecting the lights to be there to greet us. However, suppose the fixed wing ahead bursts a couple of tyres (it's happened to me), a runway incursion happens or an approach ban comes in due to a rapid deterioration. To not know, and properly brief on the go-around and alternative approaches is highly irresponsible (LOC only procedures are usually on the charts). I fly fixed wing as well as rotary and it seems that the fixed wing mindset is very different to rotary. I flew on a line check recently and the chap checking me seemed surprised that not only were all the plates for our destination out of the book, but so were those for our diversion, in my fixed wing role that is SOP, in a helicopter it seems that many pilots only bother with the plate for the approach they are about to fly.

Once saw a fantastic catch out in the simulator. No flight director approach. The glide slope off flag on the HSI was hidden behind the needle when it was central. The crew thought that they had flown a perfect ILS until the heights didn't quite add up, they flew into the ground on the go round.