PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tenerife. March, 27th, 1977.
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:10
Francis Frogbound
The One Your Mother Warned You About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sqwak 7700;

The last carrier I worked for had just such a programme, it just wasn't publicised. I worked in training, we would check out CRM both in the simulator and on line flights. If a pilot had CRM problems he was quietly re-assigned for a couple of weeks. He was told the reason for the re-assignment and given help both to overcome any flight deck problems and any personal problems he may have had from finding out his colleagues thought he was a t . As far as I know it never failed, in one case it went too far when a captain who was an utter bully realised how hated he had been went round and apologised individually to all the co-pilots he had picked on. His methods before were to upbraid and discipline the unfortunate P2 in front of the cabin staff, afterwards he learned to criticize constructively, and listen to why the P2 had acted as he had. Often the P2 may have just completed a sim ride and learned something the captain wouldn't know about until his next six monthly check.

Nowadays I work in VIP charter. We pick our pilots either because we know them or they are recommended by someone we know. CRM problems seem a long time ago, we are away for weeks together as crews and as there are only a few of us knowledge, ideas, and lessons learned are very freely circulated.

FF