PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - -Entering my last year- blues
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2007, 22:53
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adverse-bump.
Ha, good You read this. When I joined and the (then not seldom ex RAF Spit or bomber pilots) crews were discussing their retirement stuff, I always stared outside somewhat glazed. I thought, man, this don't interest me one penny, I am starting my career, dont want to talk now how to end it.

But the years flew by so quickly, You have no idea, it looked like yesterday I joined, and now myself bald, and experienced, I am now discussing this matter.

But Albert Driver and Feather #3 make a point to which I will react:
See my opening mesg, I mentioned about good guys making big time mistakes with retirement approaching. Sure in every company these things have happened.

No matter however nice I will try to make my last year, I have carved in my mind that I have to be 100% on the ball till I shutdown all 4 for the last time.
Starting to relax a bit already now, can marr one's spotless career, and that is NO nice start of your new life...
But obviously all retirees who reacted got to "the other side" with no problems and enjoying a good life now.

That's another issue I think about. Having (almost)made it with my lifetime company, why get to another one, be lost for a year in getting used to a new company policy(and ditto management, rosterers, chief pilots..), or get yourself killed with some doubtful operator?

I still have my SE/IR ratings, plus instructor, but I lost most company collegues due to GA related accidents...