PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2007, 20:12
MUFC_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA/IB Merger

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/heat...ews-260307.htm

I have read this article, and have afew questions that I would like to bring up:

1. At the moment, LH, AF/KLM, FR and AB are the four largest airlines on European flights (no. of slots). If BA were to merge with IB, would this put BA ahead of all 4 of these airlines? IB operate a HUGE number of domestic flights through Air Nostrum and on their mainline stream (operating the most frequent flights on a domestic route in the world - MAD-BCN), and BA has a HUGE presence at LHR and LGW, although it has sold it's domestic arm (BA Connect)?

2. Where would BA then fit into the league tables as the world largest airline on passenger numbers? They would be up there with the other big boys, such as LH and CO, maybe not AA and DL.

3. If they were to merge, would this mean the end of Clickair in anybody's opinions, or would BA see this as a great way in which to attack the LCCs, by allowing Clickair to maybe take over some of the shorter LHR routes, such as CDG, AMS and FRA, orffering the extremly cheap fares, but operate from the LHR. This would certainly not help FR and EZY at STN, LGW and LTN! Imagine that-being able to connect through LHR on a Loco flight!

Anyway, the deal may never happen, and if it were to, it is early days, but I would be very happy to hear about your opinions, and what you think will happen.

Cheers.