Thread: night manning
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2007, 18:38
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEXIL160
BD is being slightly economical here..
NATS response to the Uberlingen report was kept confidential to the NATS board only. Copies were, and still are, not available to the great unwashed, unless BD wants to furnish one. ( At the time I ASKED for a copy, and I have ASKED subsequently and been denied, twice... so much for "open and honest")
How curious! I'm not being economical, although I didn't say I had seen the report I said I had seen the recommendations. I seen them because I was given the task of auditing the units for compliance, with evidence. The audit report I compiled went to the NATS safety group and thence on to SRG.
Also.....Except that at the time of Uberlingen NATS was trying to reduce night manning at Swanwick to a single Tactical controller per sector (documented by the union and here on PPruNe). This was hastily dropped, but there's no getting away from the fact that NATS management at the time seriously desired to implement single sector manning.
Yes it was a certain, now retired, long time manager at Swanwicks aim. I don't know why it was dropped but it was not because of a recommendation from that disaster. To the best of my recall there was one about ensuring staff were 'together' where possible i.e approach located within tower at quiet times (would need to reread the audit for exact phrasing but I'm not at work for a few days). But that was it.

BD