PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few pointers please...
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2007, 15:53
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
except I'd stay away from a "big" airport like Bournemouth. You get charged for absolutely everything and you waste time on the ground either taxying or working around commercial stuff
Last time I flew with Bournemouth FLying Club they were very good. You get billed a fixed 6 minutes on departure and return no matter how long you're holding on the ground (12 mins total then ) and landing fees (and approach if you like that sort of thing) were included in the price - which was reasonable from what I remember for a PA28. So Bournemouth could indeed be a valuable experience, if you learn there you can fly anywhere with regards to ATC and procedures. BFC used to use the other local fields like Compton Abbas and Old Sarum anyway for the "grass" experience.

If you want the "radio / uncontrolled / standard overhead join" experience, you won't get much of that at Old Sarum on the weekday due to Boscombe Down - typical join is on a base leg joining inbound from Alderbury.

Both Old Sarum and Compton are great places - the food is good at both of them and the atmosphere is great. I'd favour Old Sarum just because although the runway is grass it is pretty smooth compared to Compton which can be like a plowed field. Seems to be usable all year, I've been there a couple of times this winter.

So it really boils down to which is closest / easiest to get to. What I'd do if you want to do it this year though is start NOW and do a couple of lessons per week, minimum. That way you have the whole summer infront of you and you may get the PPL by the autumn.

I did an intensive course in the USA (back in 2000- Wow!) because it was cheaper and I could do the whole lot in 5 weeks. It was a great experience, no downsides as I had the time and also I couldn't handle taking a whole year to do it!

Good luck!