PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few pointers please...
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2007, 12:24
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How…Try and accomplish PPL ASAP or over a period of several months/[years]
Regarding the How, I would always recommend doing the PPL as a intensive course. It will cost alot more if you learn in fits and starts. And the money is better saved for going places with your PPL on your own.

So save up until you can do a course on an intensive basis, and take the time off work to do the PPL. Going to the USA is a more certain way of completing the PPL within any specific timeframe due to the more predictable weather, and the cost of travel & accomodation will be saved by the lower cost of flying in the US. You will need some training when you get back to the UK, but this can be done in a staged fashion, e.g.

an hour dual in the circuit at your local field,
an hour of solo consolidation (at that field)
couple of dual hours covering UK Navigation (including MATZ penetrations)
an hour of solo nav (mini cross-country)
a dual hour covering entry/exit into controlled airspace.

Do all that and you will be a better pilot than most UK PPLs by virtute of your experience in the States.

I did an intensive course in the UK in August and was lucky with the weather. I got my PPL in six week. In the US, you should be able to get your PPL in four weeks, IF you are up to flying twice a day. It is tough flying this much. But there is enough time on the group to study and take the exams as well. You need to take and pass the Airlaw exam as soon as possible after you arrive as you might be ready for solo in 10 hours (i.e. by the 5th day!). You can also get your bodyclock onto US time before you go, to ensure you don't suffer from any jetlag!

Good luck

tp