PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few pointers please...
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2007, 19:50
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To give you the first of many, many variable opinions you'll get on this topic:

What, Hi or low - completely immaterial. If you can, learn on a taildragger first for the fun and the handling skills it'll teach you right from the off. Don't make it a priority, though, if it's too hard to get to.

Where: Wherever's closest. You'll be going back and forth a lot so the nearer to home the more convenient (with most other things being equal, and most the places you mentioned are reasonably equal on the face of it), except I'd stay away from a "big" airport like Bournemouth. You get charged for absolutely everything and you waste time on the ground either taxying or working around commercial stuff. Best to learn at a small, uncontrolled place first without the distractions of "aviation", which you can learn later after you solo and are on to cross-countries.

How: Heavily open to debate. I did the "over months" thing and that worked for me. Depends on your personal circumstances but I see no real reason to rush the experience if you're just doing it as a hobby. I don't think it should take more than about 6-9 months, even with British weather.

Go to the schools you mentioned, have a chat with an instructor about why you should learn there and what they think is important, go with the place closest to home that gave you answers you can live with.

Just my 02 worth. Whatever you do, do. Better to be in motion on a slightly bad track than still static and not doing anything in six months.

Cheers and have fun whatever you decide to do!

Pitts2112