PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT
Thread: RT
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2007, 07:12
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
The call isn't for the benefit of the Air Trafficker alone, it is to help others plan their circuit. For example, if I've just climbed away on take-off and have heard someone else call 'downwind to land', then I may need to extend upwind to ensure that I don't get balked on the approach by an aircraft still on the RW after landing if I plan to fly a touch and go.

Aircraft in the visual circuit should plan their own activity without interference from the visual controller. There is nothing worse than being ordered about by some well-meaning controller who does not understand the effect of wind on slow aircraft, for example.

And as for those who think a 'visual straight in' takes priority over traffic already in the visual circuit.... I was Duty Dog at Benson once when a Queen's Flight 146 announced he was straight in to land. "No he isn't", I told the visual controller, "Tell him to join on the deadside as there are 3 aircraft in the visual circuit ahead of him!". Which he did; when he tried to whinge to the CFI afterwards he was told to go and read the FOB!