PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Big For Notar?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2007, 23:37
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
If my memory serves me right Sikorsky modified the S76 following the loss of at least one aircraft following cable failures. Doesn't the S61 have a pneumatic cartridge that forces the tail rotor into a fixed position if a cable breaks, no control available?

In 30 years I've seen plenty of nasties with cables including one holding on with four strands. I've never seen a rod system that gave me any cause for concern, Dauphin, BO 105, Hughes 500 e.t.c.

When we are talking safety of course the prime use for MD 902 is police/air ambulance, which often land in areas with non helicopter trained personnel on the ground. Tail rotors still kill people on a regular basis.

Tail drive shafts are a problem area, remember the RAF Wessex which crashed into the lake with the air cadets onboard following a coupling failure , very nasty.

There is also the birdstrike and FOD issue for tail rotors in flight. RAF Puma that lost a door in flight (Norway) 4 killed.

I seem to remember a Hughes 300 tail rotor taking the head off the pilot when it came adrift in flight, 2 killed. Delta hinge bolt failure.

I am not aware of any incident where a notar fan has failed in a catastophic manner. Are there any examples?

Notar is new and therefore statistics are in short supply. I have difficulty believing that a tail rotor or fenestron is fundamentally safer.