PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin and DME arrivals
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2007, 12:26
maui

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Capt. Claret

You make a common mistake re descent on a circling approach. The descent may be commenced once you intercept the appropriate path. That path can be curved. Say you are working on a 3 deg app, then calculate your track distance to the threshold, give yourself your 300'/mile and bingo you have the point at which to start your descent. There is no legal requirement for you to be on final. It is of course your responsibility to maintain appropriate terrain clearance, which, as you are visual should not be a problem. If it is, get the hell out of Dodge.

I am with Centaurus. There is nothing inherently dangerous in a properly executed circling approach. Stay within the prescribed circling area, keep the runway or associated reference markers/points in sight at ALL times, keep within the prescribed speed and appropriate configuration, maintain the prescribed height until established on the appropriate profile, and keep your f head out of the cockpit.

The problem is more as Illusion has pointed out, that recency and training are what's most likely to bring someone undone. But that is an entirely different issue. If companies are not prepared to keep their crews competent in in the manouevre, that's OK. But they must wear the fact and prohibit their use. But please, please, please, do not say "I can't do it, so it must be unsafe and no one should do it"

HKG Phooey: I challenge you to publish detail of ANY circling approach that came to grief under the following conditions:

aircraft serviceable
within the prescribed circling area
within the prescribed visibility at all times
with the runway and or associated markings in sight at ALL times
at the prescribed height until established on PATH
stabilised at the appropriate speeds and configuration

Go Arounds are easy. Try it some time.

Maui