PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visit to Boulmer
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2007, 09:50
Never Alert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain R,

I'm on one of the WC courses that are running at the moment & I'm an NCO so, feel free to PM me if you'd like any questions answered.

My parent unit is 1ACC so I'd be able to offer you some info on that side of the branch too.

A quick heads up:

Course starts as a 6 week Air Defence Foundation Course (ADFC). The ADFC is broken down into 2 modules, each 3 weeks long & is actually an aptitude test designed to assess whether or not you are suited to the Surveillance or Weapons side of the branch. All done on a simulator.

If you go Surv, it's about 7 months training to become an Identification Officer.

Should you go WC then it's like this:

5 weeks of Flight Safety: You'll be taught all about UK airspace & how to control RAF aircraft safely within the contraints of the CAA. Done on simulator.

10 weeks of Tactics: Your flight safety knowledge will be further improved whilst being told how to go about controlling fighters tactically in various scenarios. Mostly simulator however, some of it can be live.

10 weeks (at least) of live controlling in the CRC. This period is the biggy & where you have to put it all together in order to get the WC tick in the box.

It's hard work but great fun so, good luck.

Last edited by Never Alert; 26th Mar 2007 at 15:02.