PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 25th Mar 2007, 05:16
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If tomorrow, the 380 or the next supersonic generation is single pilot certified, put whatever flight controls you like, as that single pilot will be the only one in need to know what he is doing with these flight controls, in the attempt to get what he would like to !

But as long there are 2 souls up front, my belief is it is much better if they share what I consider vital information.

2) insufficient rotation for lift-off can be also easily achieved with yoke; all you have to do is pull-but-not-quite-enough. Even PA-28 is capable of performing it.
And you exactly make my point here:
If, as PF, you do not realize you are not pulling enough, the PM, at least, will have a chance to SEE or to FEEL you are not pulling enough.
Maybe he will not get it either ... but as the team you will get more cards in your game.

JNB could have ended up with a complete disaster, but you do not need to reach that level to realize how the sidesticks philosophy can be insidious.
Time on the bird teaches a bit ...

I can see two critical areas, or let's say uncomfortable:

- For any reason, get it badly wrong on your CG, and PM will go for a double surprise during take-off roll.

- Everything below 500 AGL by turbulent gusty cross wind.

As mentioned by "GMDS", manually overiding Boeing A/THR in a very limited period of time is common practice.
Simple, easy, NATURAL !

Not much to see with the technic and sequence to follow for Airbus A/THR disconnection or reconnection.

Not to mention the FCOM BULLETIN:
A/C HANDLING IN FINAL APPROACH

- A/THR is recommended even in turbulent conditions
- BUT if SPEED decreases, move temporarily T/LVRS slightly above CLIMB detent to reduce A/THR response time.
- BUT do that carrefully, as not to trigger GO-AROUND mode.
- REMEMBER not to do that below 100 feet Radar Altimeter as it will result in A/THR disconnection and you will get CLIMB THR when placing back THR/LVRS in CLIMB detent, ... which is great above threshold.
- OF COURSE, if PF is not satisfied, he may take over thrust manually.
- ALSO, FCOM says that PF should disconnect A/THR above 1000 AGL, if he plans to do so.