PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avionics Theft ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2007, 23:27
Aerodynamisist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avionics Theft ?

I was looking at this post on a US web site ( http://www.vansairforce.net/ )
and I was wondering if this ever goes on in oz I have heard suspicion of avionics techs swapping instruments around but never heard of radio's being stolen from aircraft, given the value of a modern stack locking devices above and beyond the new dotars requirement might not be a bad idea.

"Avionics Theft Alert : There has been a series of avionics thefts in North Carolina in March at numerous airports. They have occurred after normal working hours in aircraft parked in unsecured areas (not a locked hangar). These thieves are knowledgeable of aircraft systems and are removing King and Garmin series avionics without damaging the aircraft - in most cases. Please be on the lookout for suspicious activity. A complete stack of radios can be removed in less than two minutes. Check your aircraft to determine if any equipment is missing. Report any thefts or suspicious activity to your local sheriff and the NCDOT at (919) 840-5299. Ask for Steve Merrit or Tom Freeman. A good vigilance is a strong deterrent.