PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visit to Boulmer
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2007, 19:44
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Ratpup
Good on you for getting an RJP visit - no such thing in my day, but I've been involved in a few from the other side! The Mess at Boulmer is unusual - a modern building, but run by an ex WO with a rod of iron - a pleasant change from some of the messes round the RAF these days! Beer is excellent and there is usually a rent-a-crowd in the bar for the evening - ISTR RJP bagging was a favourite mess sport amongst the studes. Top tip is not to overdo the ale in the evening, or you will have a truly miserable visit next day!
As with all these types of visit, keep your eyes and ears open and don't be afraid to ask questions. You should meet a mix of people with recent experience in CRCs, 1 ACC, E-3 etc.
As for your comment about repeated tours in bunkers, it can happen that people stay in the CRCs for quite a few years, but if you're desparate to get away there are opportunities. 1ACC and E-3 aren't postings that float everyone's boat, but the other core postings are Boulmer and Scampton - the latter is above-ground and a completely different set-up to Boulmer's CRC, even though the kit is fundamentally the same. More and more we are seeing people go off in support of a wide range of other activities, especially relating to the Army. At the end of the day, though, if working in a bunker is a big problem for you, I think you may end up looking elsewhere, but don't decide until you've had a good look round! Oh, and as I've said to you before, make sure you also get a look at ATC (area and local) so you give both a fair chance!

STH