PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2007, 18:59
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I know what you mean Smell the Coffee. On my Six Month temp contract I was getting used to the Long haul 4 day trips followed by 3 MBT's now I'm doign a 2 day 6 a there and back on the third day and then being sent to MCO on the fourth - then coming home and dying for days off. - I'm sure other ppl work harder in other airlines but my body clock is screwed!

To someone else who asked it LGW allowances £2.32 for each duty hour (check in to check out so you are being paid whilst on slip too) (this goes up to £6.37 an hour after 10.5 hours and then £12.76 an hour after 12.5 hours but this is only for flight duty time, not slip, so report to chocks on plus 15mins over 10.5 hours triggers o/t) £6.43 overnight allowances I think. We also currently trigger breakfast to be paid for on s/h and the Caribbean however this is part of current TU talks. There are also other allowances for rest day working (something like £80 a day) and dead heading and a few other things you might trigger once in a year.

This is a hangover from Dan Air/City Flyer contracts and there are actual diffrences within the MOA to what certain crew can do dependant on your original airline of employment which makes for very interesting confusion.

This leads to a Disparity in pay between what I was being paid at LHR on a temp contract (same pay as a perm contact jsut pro rata) and at LGW SF of about £9k a year mostly lost in allowances as the basic rate is not much different (about £500 a year). It is unfair but I think ppl who are ex EOG say that the longhaul was not just a carrot because of the expereince of these routes but has had tangible effects on their take home pay. IE eurofleet crew are better off now whereas anyone from another fleet is significantly worse off financially.

Depressing bit aside we have some lovely routes down to the Caribbean and 3 American routes too if shopping is your bag however I recon in a year when open skies comes these will likely go - some say to be replaced with holiday destinations like Mauritious however it;s all speculation but I wouldn't complain!!

And in reply to someone elses questions. I wouldn't bank on permanent recruitment to LHR opening up, I'd think it unlikely. I would also imagine, given assurances given by managment that any permanent movement into the base would be from LGW crew, there would be an uprising down the M23 I would personally be unhappy as sitting at the bottom of seniority at LGW (apparently 9 months of previous service counts for nothing) I would like to see some movement. however I had a lovely time on the 6 month contract and as this was a "gentlemens agreement" I would not be shocked to see perm contracts offered at LHR just annoyed.

Having said all that SFG is a wonderful fleet to work at - peeps are lovely with, as I said, some diamond routes. Young enthusiastic crew and you can bid for your trips my seniority is very low but I have been good with my bidding and so have some nice trips next month including a couple of 4 day Barbados' with no POS shuttle (HURRAH!!). Promotional opportunities are also excellent.

If the finances were the same I wouldn't touch the LHR transfer list with a ****ty stick. However this is not the case so I'l be trying to get back up asap.

Sorry for the essay!!!!!!!

Last edited by Matt101; 24th Mar 2007 at 19:01. Reason: spelling and facts