PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A unified Union from top to bottom.
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2007, 07:31
LookinDown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mentoring & Union Contact

There have been some valuable points made in this thread.

HH's reference to mentoring is very important is terms of establishing new CPLs on an initial career path which includes at least a basic knowledge of what benefits can be accessed through union membership and the risks without it. Also, as has been well pointed out, just how cheap this access and therefore what a sound investment it actually is given the possible (read probable over a whole career) career threatening events that might occur.

QF is finally getting serious about their mentoring program and over time there should be a good model from which to gather the best and most effective ideas for supporting any new pilot anywhere.

Given the typical GA environment for newbies its highly unlikely there will ever be much in the way of mentoring available unless things change. The positive professional relationship which sometimes develops with a more senior pilot isnt what I'm referring to here even though it can involve mentoring. Its formal mentoring which incorporates an agenda of all the pertinent aspects of the CP role that the mentor can bring into play at relevant opportunities through a positive rapport. In this way 'holes' in understanding are minimised.

The challenge is how to do this. I'd argue that with cheap electronic media these days in even the most remote communities, tied in with occasional face to face if only via video link it wouldnt be too hard. An even greater challenge is by who? Here is a perfect opportunity to promote the value of union membership through direct personal support while providing essential mentoring by selected and trained union reps or delegates. If the initial approach to newbies includes first year's free (my personal belief is that strongly subsidised is preferable) membership as evidence of genuine commitment to their professional support then all the better.