PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2007, 03:22
TelBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks gijoe,

At Aviation House they do now do the Bayne test - I have it from them as well as posts on this thread.

I have taken the City Uni tests, but they did not have the actual Bayne, but a simulator that does similar. I passed the first set, but they lowered the hew and I made mistakes in the next set, I really want info on what Gatwick will do.

It is interesting you say that they will refer you to City Uni etc. Not sure it will be any use for me as City have given me a report of moderate deuternomaly and say I will often be unable to discriminate red-green colour differences that would be within colour discrimination for a typical colour normal observer. I feel that sentance would be the nail in my coffin so to speak. (good news is my blue yellow is excellent!!).

The City Uni tests I took are aimed at their reserch. The new tests that the CAA will probably take will not be as simple as the CAD or PAPI but a whole lot of tests to determine your exact colour vision range. The CAA will then (with the JAA) have to decide the cut off point. My feeling is that if a red or green dificency is shown you will fail, as these are the most widley used colours in aviation. This is just MY OPINION of course.

Also if the CAA are willing to look outside their own tests - why will they not take FAA medicals and waivers into consideration. I have an FAA waiver for any class medical because I passed the Light Signal Test. This is a practical test - no altering hews etc, just distance of 1000 and 1500 yards from tower. There are 16500 CVD US pilots with waivers, 2000 of which have ATP - they fly in our skies daily with a good record, so can't be that bad.

Any how if anyone has actual experience of the Bayne at Gatwick, please let me know exactley what happens.