PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC Flying Pay change
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 19:15
Greenielynxpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This cannot go unchallenged.

The Directorate needs to be made quite clear that this is not simply about the money ... it is about a failure of leadership by the AAC's command.
Even if the Lt Col who signed his name to D/AAvn/31/003 dated 1 Mar 07 bothered to fight the cause on behalf those who will be worst affected (which I very much doubt), there has been a monumental corporate comms failure by HQ DAAvn through their complete lack of desire to have any dialogue with the Corps' aircrew over this issue. This simply exacerbates the perception that we are held in complete contempt by them.
Anyone who has earned their wings since Feb 1995 will be affected, and will receive less pay than they will have had a legitimate expectation of earning. The opening line of that letter claims that "the rules for transition to P1 rates of flying pay .... have been interpreted in an inconsistent manner across the Corps for some time".
I challenge you to name a single AAC officer, at any time during the last 16 years, who has not progressed up the rates of flying pay on the 4-yr anniversary of their wings parade.
There was nothing inconsistent about the interpretation of the rules at all. This is a blatant change in the accepted practice, which effectively reduces the value of the rewards package that an AAC pilot receives over his/her entire career.
In my case, the difference will amount £16,185.42. Or, to put it another way, I have received a pay CUT of 8.34% for each and every day between now and when I eventually catch up to the level I believed I would be at. This will happen again in 4 yrs time (although in my case, I can categorically state that I will not remain in the AAC long enough for that to matter - I wonder how many others are feeling the same way?)
Others, who will suffer disproportionately more, include all Cpl pilots who were prevented from occupying aircraft commander LSNs until they promoted to Sgt, and pretty much anyone who took longer than the minimum six month period because of the attrocious serviceability (particularly on Lynx) during the late 90's and early 00's.
The present Director is quite happy to bask in the reflected glory of the Corps and its aircrew ... and so he must also be prepared to bear the responsibility for the weaknesses of his staff, particularly the G1 branch at HQ DAAvn. All the officers involved must be made quite clear that their failure to fight this, their failure to communicate honestly and openly with those most seriously affected, and their treachery in trading off the Corps' best interests in return for being 'allowed' to remain on enhanced rates of flying pay themselves, is utterly disgusting and reprehensible to pretty much the entirety of those they are supposed to serve. I hope they choke on their 30 pieces of silver. This scandal will tarnish them for the remainder of their careers.
In the meantime, may I suggest that everyone registers their disapproval by cancelling their 'two day's pay' contribution to the AAC Association.

Last edited by Greenielynxpilot; 24th Mar 2007 at 02:16.