PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visit to Boulmer
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 18:36
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't let them blind you with talk of tours on E3s or 1 ACC and it being at the sharp end of operations. I did one of the RJPs to Boulmer in the 90s and that was all that was hammered down our throats for 3 days.

When the time actually came, not a sniff of E3s or 1 ACC as an option in sight and bearing in mind that AD of the UK wasn't massively high on list of defence priorities post-Cold War, spending years in a bunker having been promised something totally different didn't appeal so I made my excuses and went over the wire (yes I know about 9/11 etc etc, but I still haven't seen a change in defence priorities to push AD up the list).

That said, Boulmer is a lovely part of the world and the Mess isn't half bad, many a very happy happy hour in training ... from what I can remember. And the branch appears (from the outside) to be getting its act together - 1 ACC are now getting out and about and the E3s are in high demand. Getting postings there however, is another matter entirely.

Go along, listen in and enjoy it as a few days away experiencing something new - time spent in the Mess will provide you with a good indication of what RAF life is like. Just remember that rightly or wrongly, the FC branch has a bad press in the wider RAF, and they will try to counter that bad press with their own version. Make your own mind up & dont be influenced by spin either way.